Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Ladies who lunch



My definition of ‘Ladies who lunch’’;  Women with a lot of time on their hands who meet with  girlfriends and talk about nothing important and gossip.

I was wrong on many counts. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladies_who_lunch

Ladies who lunch is a phrase often used to describe well-off, well-dressed women who meet for social luncheons, usually during the working week. Typically, the women involved are married and non-working. Normally the lunch is in a high-class restaurant, but could also take place in a department store during a shopping trip. Sometimes the lunch takes place under the pretext of raising money for charity.

Ladies who lunch are often seen as lacking substance. I’m full of substance..cookies, cheese cake etc. How dare they say that about me!

1. I’m not well off. In the money sense that is.
2. Well dressed? I clean up pretty good and can throw an outfit together, but I hardly wear couture now that I’m collecting OAP.
3. I score one for being married and non-working. At least at a paying job. Writing is hard work!
4. I consider a high class restaurant one that has clean cutlery and glasses and the music is not too loud. The food should be edible. I can always manage the shopping trip.
5. I’ve done my share of charity work but never discussed it over lunch.

So my social calendar is filling up. Yesterday I met two retired friends from my last place of employment. This can be classified as a ladies lunch. Nothing too high-class, but decent. Both are married and between us we have three husbands, eleven children and sixteen grandchildren. That gave us plenty to talk about.

Today I’m meeting with a writers group at an eatery where I know the food is good but high class? I’ll update you in a future post.

Arthur Ellis Short List
Thursday the 18th. I’ll be making my way to downtown Toronto. Indigo at the Manulife centre on Bloor. This event is simultaneously happening in Ottawa and Vancouver.

 The Arthur Ellis Awards
for Excellence in
Canadian Crime Writing
The Arthur Ellis Awards, established in 1984 and named after the nom de travail of Canada's official hangman, are awarded annually by the CWC in the following categories.
For published works:
Best Crime First Novel 
Best Crime Novel
Best Crime Novella (3-yr pilot) 
Best Crime Short Story
Best French Crime Book(Fiction and Nonfiction) 
Best Juvenile or YA Crime Book(Fiction and Nonfiction) 
Best Nonfiction Crime Book
 For unpublished authors:
for Best Unpublished First Crime Novel

 The Arthur Ellis Awards are for CRIME WRITING, and are not restricted to mystery writing. Crime-writing encompasses far more than the traditional whodunit. The crime genre includes crime, detective, espionage, mystery, suspense, and thriller writing, as well as fictional or factual accounts of criminal doings and crime-themed literary works. If you are not certain that your submission qualifies as a crime book or story, please contact us at:
info@crimewriterscanada.com or publications@crimewriterscanada.com

 I’m really looking forward to this event. Joy Fielding is the guest speaker and other authors will be reading from their books.


I will report on this event at the weekend.
Talk soon, must get ready for my second lunch out this week. Better make it a salad today.

Slainte,
Pam








2 comments:

Terry said...

love this...and your humour

Pam said...

Merci,

I'll be up in Kincardine soon, and we can be ladies that lunch then.

Popular Posts Viewed This Week