Saturday, May 18, 2013

Star Trek


Star Trek – Into Darkness was dazzling!  Stupendous!  Enormously entertaining!   Yes, I liked it…and would love to go and see it again.

My oldest son and I are Trekkies – it must be in the genes.  For several years we’ve taken in the opening night (or as close to as possible) of all things Star Trek (and Tolkien too!).    William’s not a fan of 3D – he’s truly a movie aficionado and feels its nothing but a gimmick, which I tend to agree with.  However, 3D was all that was available last night, but at least it provided for reserved seating.   The special effects combined with the 3D certainly gave you moments to jump or duck, and overall I don’t feel it detracted from the movie….but I’d love to go back and see it again, without the 3D.

And on a side note, I find Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto (Kirk and Spock respectively) very easy on the eyes too!   Seriously though, their portrayals of the original characters are brilliant, as are the ‘young’ Bones, Uhura, Sulu, Chekov, and of course “Aye Captain” Scotty.   Benedict Cumberbatch as the nemesis Kirk must battle was captivating.   

So would I recommend this movie – you bet I would!   It can stand alone as an amazing summer blockbuster action movie, but oh, how much more enjoyable if you know your Star Trek history and have those “YES!” moments when watching.

It was a great way to kick of the first long weekend of the summer.

This morning I’ll head over to our local Chapters where Alison Bruce, Gloria Ferris, and Michelle Wan, all local mystery authors, will be available for “Mysterious Guelph”.  No doubt I’ll not be leaving without one or two new books to take with me for this long weekend.

After the “Mysterious Guelph” event, I’ll be heading down to the Paris area for a couple of days R & R at a friend’s trailer.  If the weather forecast holds, there will be time to relax on the deck and dive into some serious reading! 

As a bonus…my long weekend will extend for another two weeks!  My first long holiday from work in quite a few years, but with long overdue chores to catch up with, I need to ensure I also get one or two “me” days and indulge myself with serious down time.   And some much needed writing time as well.

One evening out is scheduled and that, of course, for the Bony Blithe Gala – being held downtown Toronto the evening of May 29.  Pam and are looking forward to it.  And as I'm often time constrained from attending so many writing events, I'm really happy this coincided with time off so that I can go!

And now I must finish my packing and be ready to hit the road within the hour.  Enjoy your long weekend.

Cheers!

Liz

2 comments:

Chelly said...

Wish I could have joined you both... maybe when you go see it again...?

Liz said...

If that works out I'd be game..! Let's see what schedules can do.

Popular Posts Viewed This Week